Easy, simple cannabis brownies made using cannabis coconut oil or cannabutter. No fancy ingredients & ready in just 25 minutes. The Best CBD Brownies: 4 different methods with product suggestions for easy CBD-infused brownies, with recipes for making brownies from scratch or using store-bought treats! By the same methods one would use to make any kind of cannabis-infused edible. To make a CBD-rich brownie or another CBD-rich edible, one must first extract oil from a CBD-rich strain and infuse it into olive oil, coconut oil, butter or ghee (clarified butter). These infused oils or butters are the most common ways to cook with cannabis.We answer how to make CBD-rich infused
Easy Cannabis Weed Brownies
Published: May 19, 2020 · Modified: Aug 11, 2022 by Emily Kyle · This post may contain affiliate links, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
An easy, straightforward recipe for ooey-gooey pot brownies ready in as little as 30 minutes; no fancy ingredients or special equipment required. Learn how easy it is to make these delicious brownies with different options like cannaoil, cannabutter, cannabis sugar, concentrates, and more.
- A tried-and-true weed brownie recipe with over 1,000 positive reviews. No fluff, just the good stuff!
- Infusion options include: cannabutter, canna oil, cannabis sugar, concentrates, decarbed flower, and more.
- Use this batter as the perfect blank canvas for your favorite toppings like chocolate chips or sea salt.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
If you’re finding this recipe through a random internet search, welcome; I’m glad you’re here!
If you’ve been searching for the perfect cannabis brownie recipe, this is it. I’ve created something delicious yet simple to share with you and my Well With Cannabis Community.
If this is your first time making edibles, have no fear, this is the most straightforward guide, complete with step-by-step photos and simple instructions.
In this post, you will find my easy recipe, must-know tips and tricks, alternate infusion options, and thoroughly answered FAQs so you can make your pot brownies perfectly the first time.
Looking For More Support?
Join thousands of members inside my private Well With Cannabis Community to ask questions, find support, and share your edible creations!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour: white, all-purpose, AP flour works best in this recipe
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder: When measuring flour or cocoa powder, use a spoon to transfer the flour from the container to your measuring cup and then level it out with a flat edge, like a butter knife. This helps prevent packing and makes for better brownies.
- ½ teaspoon salt: or to taste
- ½ teaspoon baking powder:don’t confuse this for baking soda
- ½ cup cannabis butter: The first step is to make this ahead of time. Start with my guide to making cannabutter in a crockpot or an Instant Pot. You can purchase flower from my shop, if needed. The cannabutter should be softened to room temperature for the best results. This makes all the difference in the creaming process. You can substitute cannabis coconut oil here, but it should be room temperature. You don’t want to use melted butter; you want to be softened. Learn how to safely soften cannabutter here.
- 1 cup sugar:I use both white and brown sugar in this recipe, but you could substitute cannabis sugar if you want
- ½ cup brown sugar:if you don’t have any, use 1½ cups of white sugar in total
- 2 large eggs: farm fresh
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract: for taste
- Optional toppings:feel free to add nuts, chocolate chips, caramel, or sea salt
- Infusion options: you can infuse this recipe in many different ways. Find them under the Alternate Infusion Optionssection below
Note: a complete list of ingredients with amounts and printable instructions is located in the recipe card below.
The Step-by-Step Process
- Step 1 – Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8″x8″ metal baking pan and set it aside.
- Step 2 – In a medium-sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Sift the flour and the cocoa powder to remove any lumps, then add the salt, followed by the baking powder. Set aside.
- Step 3 – Cream the cannabutter, granulated white, and brown sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer.
- Step 4 – Add the eggs and vanilla to the creamed sugar.
- Step 5 – Beat on medium speed for one minute (the mixture’s color should lighten a bit).
- Step 6 – Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Step 7 – Beat on low speed until everything is well incorporated.
- Step 8 – Transfer the batter to the reserved greased baking pan. Lightly tap the pan to even out the batter.
- Step 9 – If you want to add any additional toppings, add them now.
- Step 10 – Place the pan in the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes. The time will depend on your oven and your brownie consistency preferences. Test the finished brownies with a toothpick* (see notes below).
- Step 11 – If you can wait, allow the pan of brownies to cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack before cutting them into squares and removing them from the pan.
- Step 12 – Enjoy these easy pot brownies over ice cream, in a Sundae, topped with dark chocolate chips – and repeat!
Note: complete step-by-step printable instructions are located in the recipe card below.
These delicious pot brownies have the same shelf life as any other brownie. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to seven days. After seven days, individually wrap them in parchment paper and then saran wrap and place them in the freezer to prevent spoilage. They can last a very long time in the freezer. Additionally, storing these brownies in an air-tight container with a slice of bread will keep them soft and moist. Learn more about how to store edibles here.
Alternate Cannabis Infusion Options
As with all things edibles, there is more than one way to infuse something. Below we will explore the different ways you could infuse these special brownies.
Cannabis Oil or Cannabutter
This is the most popular way to infuse. Choose among these popular staple recipes: coconut oil, cannabutter, kief cannabutter, MCT oil, or even olive oil.
You can adjust the amount of butter or oil used alongside regular butter or oil to control your dose if needed.
Once you have your cannabis-infused oil or butter prepared, you can use it anywhere fat is called for in a recipe.
You can also use your Grandma’s sacred brownie recipe and the oil or butter called for with your infused option.
Making your oil or butter at home also allows you to choose what type of cannabis flower you want to use. THC dominant cannabis flower is the preferred starting material, but you can also use CBD flower, CBG flower, or even kief, leaves, trim, or shake.
You can make these brownies with cannabis-infused sugar; swap the infused sugar for white or brown sugar. You could also use both infused oil or butter and infused sugar for extra potent brownies.
Easily make these brownies with concentrates. All can work for this recipe, from CBD distillate or CO2 oil to shatter or wax and FECO or RSO. Just be sure to check if your concentrate needs to be decarbed first. Then, mix the concentrate with ½ cup of regular butter or organic coconut oil, and then prepare the recipe according to the instructions below. How much you will add is up to you and your taste preferences; 1ml or 1 gram is an excellent place to start.
If you want to use an alcohol-based cannabis extract in this recipe, be sure to evaporate the alcohol and make FECO first. If you want to use an oil-based tincture, use it in place of the butter or oil mentioned above.
While it’s not my favorite way, you can add decarbed weed or decarbed kief right into this recipe and the flour mixture. Learn more about the decarboxylation process here. Just be mindful of adding the correct dose for you, especially if you are not a regular consumer of edibles.
Leftover Cannabis Pulp
If you want, you can add the leftover cannabis pulp to your brownie mix. Add a ¼ to ½ cup of the leftover pulp to the chocolate mixture as an additional ingredient. Note that the plant matter may affect the final texture of this easy pot brownie recipe.
Notes and Expert Tips
- Pro tip: A good brownie is fudgy, but for even FUDGIER brownies, use a ½ cup of all-purpose flour instead of a ¾ cup. Skip this if you prefer cakey brownies.
- Baking note: All ovens bake at different temperatures; 25 minutes is an average baking time. Some ovens will bake quicker, so check your brownies for your desired doneness with a toothpick. The toothpick does NOT need to come out clean, unlike making a cake. Making fudgy brownies will leave deliciousness on the toothpick. Just verify that what is in the toothpick doesn’t have a batter consistency, which would indicate that the batter needs to bake a bit longer. Adjust accordingly to find your perfect texture.
- Know your dose: If you have never had homemade edibles before, it is essential to note that they are different than other consumption methods. Edibles will likely affect you differently than inhalation, topical, or sublingual application methods. Your experience may also be different if you use an Indica or Sativa strain. Additionally, edibles take 30-minutes to several hours to hit and can last 6-12 hours, so don’t reach for that second helping so quickly! You want to make sure your high time is a good time If you accidentally get too high, check out these solutions here.
- Be safe: I know marijuana edibles are the hot new thing to try, but I want you to be safe. One of the most important things about cannabis edibles is to follow the golden rule, start low and go SLOW! Keeping your mg of THC low is the best way to stay safe. Do not eat an entire batch of marijuana brownies in one sitting, no matter how much you love the flavor of your homemade weed brownies.
- Be prepared: Learn how to easily make the staple recipes needed to infuse this recipe, like cannabutter and cannabis sugar, with my Cannabis Cookbook
Frequently Asked Questions
I want you to feel amazing, like Martha Stewart, making the best marijuana brownies. So, if you have a little bit of reading time available, here are some of the most common FAQs about making these delicious cannabis brownies that I get from my Well With Cannabis Community.
Yes, you sure can! A typical box of brownie mix calls for ½ cup or ⅔ cup of butter or vegetable oil. Just swap that vegetable oil for ½ cup or ⅔ cups of your infused butter or oil and follow the package instructions as listed.
It might. However, the smell will be significantly reduced if you already have the oil or butter prepared and are not actively decarbing or infusing.
Cannabis edibles affect every person differently because of our unique endocannabinoid systems (ECS). This, paired with our physiology, means we will all experience the effects differently. Some of the most commonly reported effects include a feeling of intoxication or being high, sleepiness, drowsiness, happiness, pain relief, and more.
To determine how many milligrams of THC will be in your final batch, you need to know how much weed to add when making oil or butter. You can use my flower or oil ratio guide to determine what’s best for you. This recipe calls for a half-cup of oil or butter, which breaks down to approximately ¼ ounce of flower used to make this recipe. Of course, the potency will depend on the strength of your flower, so feel free to use my edibles dosage calculator for a closer guesstimate.
Your final milligram dosage of either CBD or THC will entirely depend on the strength of the material you start with. If you make your product with trim or shake, it will be less potent than if you make your cannabis oil or butter with premium, high-quality flower or kief. Remember, the better the bud, the better the butter for edibles. You can also adjust the amount of cannabis flower used to make your oil or butter. For example, while the traditional ratio is 1 ounce of flower to 1 pound of oil or butter, you could use a ratio of 1 ounce of flower to ½ pound of oil or butter for a more potent final product. Additionally, adding cannabis concentrates can quickly increase potency.
If you purchase your flower at a dispensary, it will state the % THC, making it easier to determine the final milligrams. If you know that number and how much bud you’ve used in grams, you can input your information into my online dosage calculator to help you guestimate your final dose. You can calculate the dose for the entire batch of brownies or just a single serving. But, of course, if you don’t know your starting material’s potency, the final strength can be anyone’s guess.
As silly as that sounds, it’s a legitimate question that gets asked more times than I’d like to admit. Dogs do well with CBD, but they don’t do great with high amounts of THC. If your dog eats your cannabis brownie, I urge you to call your vet for further recommendations.
How to Determine The Dosing
Want to get a more accurate guesstimate of the potency of your cannabis infusions and extractions? Try our popular edibles calculator!
Not sure what your perfect dose is? Learn more here.
Want To Make This Easier? Use A Machine!
If the process of decarbing and infusing feels like too much work, an all-in-one countertop device may be a perfect all-in-one solution.
My personal favorites? The LEVO and Ardent FX, but you can review the most popular infusion machines here.
How to Make the Best CBD Brownies – 4 Easy Ways
While CBD oil is popular for its many supposed benefits, it is not necessarily known as being a tasty ingredient. The strong, pungent earthiness of the oil can be a bit overwhelming on its own – but, that doesn’t mean it isn’t wonderful to cook with!
In fact, when treated properly CBD oil can add a delicious, slightly herbaceous flavor to a number of classic brownie recipes. Or, you can even include specialty CBD products that have no distinct flavor at all.
Here I share 4 different easy methods for making the best CBD brownies at home using your choice of preferred CBD-infused ingredients!
Why Make Brownies with CBD Oil?
CBD oil, which is the commonly-used term for Cannabidiol, is a non-psychotropic natural substance derived from the hemp plant. Unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD does not produce a “high.”
However, it is considered to have anti-inflammatory properties, and as such CBD oil has become commonly used for treating minor aches and pains.
While these and other claims – like CBD helping with anxiety, nausea, sleep, eczema, and a slew of other conditions – have not been scientifically evaluated and proven, a simple Google search on the subject shows that many people are firm believers in the medicinal benefits of cannabidiol.
But because CBD oil is from hemp, it tends to, well, taste like hemp. Many companies have in recent years been creating a whole slew of tasty products that attempt to mask the flavor of the oil, with everything from CBD gummies to chocolate bars to ground coffee and even lollipops.
While these goodies are often delicious and effective on their own, there is just nothing better than incorporating CBD into a batch of rich, fudgy, decadent brownies. And thankfully, there are many ways to do just that.
Read on for my tips for making brownies with CBD – with recipes and tricks for creating the best brownies from scratch or even infusing store-bought brownies with CBD oil!
The Best Brownie Recipes for Making CBD Brownies
The best CBD brownies begin with, obviously, a great brownie recipe. While CBD oil can be incorporated into any brownie or Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe, I figure you might as well make it a really good batch to enjoy!
If you like your brownies with crunchy walnuts and a yummy thick frosting, you’ve got to make these Classic Fudgy Walnut Brownies with Chocolate Frosting.
Don’t feel like actually baking? No problem! Whip up my no-bake Brownie Batter Truffles and infuse them with CBD oil.
For a super-indulgent dessert, infuse CBD oil into these Tasty Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies made from scratch.
But if you’re in a hurry or just looking for a simple, classic chocolate brownie you really can’t go wrong with a store-bought boxed brownie mix. Or, buy pre-made brownies from the grocery and simply slather them with a CBD-infused frosting!
Note: When purchasing your CBD oil, check the manufacturer’s information to make sure it can withstand the heat of being baked according to your brownie recipe of choice.
4 Easy Ways To Make Brownies with CBD
1. How to Make Brownies with CBD: Add CBD Oil or Tinctures
CBD oils and tinctures are an easy way to add CBD to your recipes. To make CBD brownies, simply add the desired amount to your brownie or frosting recipe.
But how do you choose which product: Oil or Tincture?
The main difference between CBD oils and CBD tinctures is the production process and how many ingredients they each contain.
While CBD oil is pure oil extracted from the hemp plant, a tincture is made by infusing another substance (such as alcohol) with hemp to incorporate the CBD. Tinctures therefore aren’t as potent, which also means the flavor of the CBD tends to not be as strong, either.
Both oils and tinctures can be taken sublingually (under your tongue with a dropper) or used directly in foods, beverages and CBD cocktails.
CBD oils and tinctures come in a variety of potencies and flavors. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Mint is a classic choice to pair with chocolate brownies. Green Roads is a trusted brand that offers a tasty mint CBD oil. Be sure to use promo code ‘Snack10’ for 10% off your Green Roads order.
- Even Martha Stewart has launched a line of tinctures oils that come in natural, blood orange and Meyer lemon flavors. Be sure to use promo code “SNACK20” for 20% off if you place an order!
- A great high-quality option for oils and tinctures without flavor is Charlotte’s Web. They offer a variety of sizes and potencies. Be sure to use promo code “SNACKATEERS” for 15% off if you place an order.
2. How to Infuse Brownies with CBD: Add CBD Coffee
Coffee is great for enhancing the flavor of chocolate. Since CBD coffees are now readily available for purchase, adding CBD coffee to your brownies or icing is an easy way to boost your flavor and get a dose of CBD!
Here are a couple of easy ways:
- In a brownie recipe, simply replace the water with strongly brewed CBD coffee.
- In a frosting, glaze or buttercream recipe, try using very strong CBD coffee/espresso in place of the milk.
Product Recommendation: There are quite a few CBD coffee products on the market. If you’re looking for a great one to try, I recommend Green Roads coffee.
3. An Easy and Tasty Idea for Making CBD Brownies: Use CBD Chocolate
This one of the easiest and tastiest ways to infuse your brownies with CBD. By using chocolate made with CBD, the earthy taste typically associated with CBD oil is already masked.
Here are my top 5 ways to use CBD chocolate to make the best brownies:
- During the last 5 minutes of baking, add one piece/serving of CBD chocolate to the top of the brownies. Evenly space them so when you cut the brownies later, each serving will have one piece/serving of CBD.
- Chop the CBD chocolate and add chunks to your batter.
- If your recipe calls for melted chocolate, replace some or all (depending on desired dose and budget – this could get expensive!) with a melted CBD chocolate bar.
- Create a smores brownie! During the last few minutes of baking, add mini marshmallows to the top of brownies. Remove from the oven and add CBD chocolate chunks and graham crackers pieces to the softened marshmallow.
- If using a Chocolate Buttercream Frosting on your brownies, substitute some or all of the regular chocolate in your recipe with CBD chocolate.
I invite you to check out my full rundown of Where to Buy the Best CBD Chocolate Online to learn more about the many benefits of and differences between different types of CBD-infused chocolates.
Product Recommendation: My personal favorite is this dark chocolate CBD bar from Green Roads. With 62% cocoa, it has just the right flavor balance of sweet and bitter.
And the texture is amazing – it melts in your mouth. It’s a great choice for baking or a sweet snack.
4. A Simple Way to Add CBD to Brownies: Use CBD Isolate Powder
According to Medical News Today, CBD isolate is a powder comprised of pure CBD.
CBD isolate does not have a distinctive smell or taste and comes in a powder form, making it ideal for baking.
To use in baking, simply dissolve the desired amount of isolate powder into the butter or oil needed for your recipe.
Note: The isolate is oil-soluble, so adding it to water-based items will not allow the isolate to fully dissolve and separation is likely to occur. Therefore, be sure to follow the instructions above and only add it to from-scratch or boxed brownie recipes that use butter or oil.
Product Recommendation: Direct CBD Online has a fantastic selection of CBD isolate powders you can buy online. You can browse a wide variety of reputable brands and products on their website. Make sure to use promo code “SNACK20” for 20% off your order!
Frequently Asked Questions
How much CBD should I use to make brownies?
How much to use is an important consideration, but no one ‘right’ answer. The right amount for you depends on your desired dosage per serving.
Pay careful attention to the dose suggestions on the packaging of the product(s) you choose. For example, if you’re making 12 cookies, multiply the recommended dosage by 12 and add to the recipe.
If you incorporate CBD in more than one way, such as CBD coffee in frosting and CBD oil in the batter, be sure to account for the total CBD added to the overall recipe.
In theory, adding oils, tinctures, melted chocolate, or isolates to a batter or frosting evenly distributes the CBD throughout each serving.
However, it may be important for you to have a more precise amount in each serving. If that is the case, use a method that allows for more exact measurement such as adding a piece of CBD chocolate on top of a single brownie serving.
Will CBD brownies get me high?
No, cannabidiol does not have any psychoactive properties.
How do I select a high-quality CBD product?
Many companies have come into the CBD market over the last several years, so it is important that you do a bit of research to make sure you are buying from a trustworthy source. Here are some considerations:
- As with most products, you do get what you pay for. Don’t simply go with the cheapest options.
- Look for companies that use naturally-grown hemp from the USA.
- The amount of THC in the product should not exceed .3 percent to ensure that it is both legal and non-psychoactive.
- Choose a company that has available 3rd party lab results of their testing measures.
- Understand the differences between broad-spectrum, full-spectrum and isolate products.
- Some CBD extraction methods use toxic chemicals. CO2 extraction and ethanol extractions are preferred methods.
- Always be wary of explicit health claims as this is not allowed by the FDA.
As always, the companies and products I mention in this article are ones that I believe are reputable and high-quality.
If you enjoyed this article, save it for later on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. Also join our Facebook Group for more snack fun!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products discussed are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
How do I make CBD-rich brownies or other CBD-infused edibles?
By the same methods one would use to make any kind of cannabis-infused edible. To make a CBD -rich brownie or another CBD -rich edible, one must first extract oil from a CBD -rich strain and infuse it into olive oil, coconut oil, butter or ghee (clarified butter). These infused oils or butters are the most common ways to cook with cannabis. One will need to combine the CBD -rich plant material (usually the leafy trim) with the oil or butter and expose to low heat over a long period of time—this will help to avoid breakdown and/or vaporization of the CBD and other cannabinoids. After straining out the plant material, one can substitute CBD -rich cannabutter or canna-oil into your favorite recipes. There are many extraction recipes and tutorials available on-line, including, for example, Le Blanc Cne.